Men Of Valor

Hey, you like what you see? If you think your fit to be part of MoV, take a minute to register and post an intro/application.

We have one large division for MAG, but have just started our brand new BC2 and MoH Divisions!

Thanks, staff of MoV

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Men Of Valor

Hey, you like what you see? If you think your fit to be part of MoV, take a minute to register and post an intro/application.

We have one large division for MAG, but have just started our brand new BC2 and MoH Divisions!

Thanks, staff of MoV

Men Of Valor

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to M.o.V.
***NEW WEBSITE: http://menofvalorgaming.enjin.com/ ***
*** VISIT MoV AT OUR NEW WEBSITE ***

+8
nickb_93
Ant_rocks_09
Turb_Markov
hotdog_fingers
Brashin
sth198620
cheeseclown
needswall
12 posters

Those of Us Born From 1930 - 1979 (and some points the 80s)

needswall
    needswall
    Sergeant First Class
    Sergeant First Class

Those of Us Born From 1930 - 1979 (and some points the 80s) Empty Those of Us Born From 1930 - 1979 (and some points the 80s)

Post by needswall Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:11 pm

(at the end of this is a quote of the month by Jay Leno some of you may appreciate)

Everyone who survived the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's (and even the early 80's I would have thought):

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes. Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes made with Lard, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drankFLAV- OR- AID made with real white sugar. And, we weren't overweight. WHY? Because we were always outside playing.....that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on..

No one was able to reach us all day. And, we were OKAY.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Play stations, Nintendo's and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping pong paddles, or just a bare hand and no one would call child services to report abuse.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with the disappointment.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of them, CONGRATULATIONS! Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?

The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:

'With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'
    cheeseclown
    cheeseclown
    Corporal
    Corporal

Those of Us Born From 1930 - 1979 (and some points the 80s) Empty Re: Those of Us Born From 1930 - 1979 (and some points the 80s)

Post by cheeseclown Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:53 pm

good quote i was born in 88 and i did most of the stuff on the list
    sth198620
    sth198620
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Those of Us Born From 1930 - 1979 (and some points the 80s) Empty Re: Those of Us Born From 1930 - 1979 (and some points the 80s)

Post by sth198620 Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:33 pm

same here
    Brashin
    Brashin
    Sergeant First Class
    Sergeant First Class

Post by Brashin Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:50 am

Was born in 78 and definitely did the things on here, crazy how messed up we are nowadays
    hotdog_fingers
    hotdog_fingers
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by hotdog_fingers Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:16 am

I'm an old man too born in '74...but I've always had video games...I vividly remember Pong, Atari, Commodore 64, Colecovision and many Apple II games. I laugh at those who think nintendo is an old gaming system!
    Turb_Markov
    Turb_Markov
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Turb_Markov Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:27 am

Well born in early 91,I did over half those things on that list. My examples like remembering playing NES, watching old movies, the stench of old family stuff. Always wanted to play Atari 2600 sometime, like touching piece of history.
    Ant_rocks_09
    Ant_rocks_09
    Sergeant Major of the Army
    Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Ant_rocks_09 Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:38 pm

I got that E-mail, a loooong time ago even though I was born in September '94 lol I grew up playing Sonic on Sega Genesis then Spyro on PS One, Kingdom Hearts, on PS2 and then finally a variety of games on my PS3.
    nickb_93
    nickb_93
    MoV Artist
    MoV Artist

Post by nickb_93 Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:42 pm

sonic on sega...best game ever? grew up on that and Crash Bandicoot. Fun times
    hotdog_fingers
    hotdog_fingers
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by hotdog_fingers Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:05 pm

Best game ever...original Zelda.
    Eliteassassin479
    Eliteassassin479
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Eliteassassin479 Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:26 am

'86, but i still remember doing half of those things
    TAC_260
    TAC_260
    Admin
    Admin

Post by TAC_260 Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:23 pm

I was born WAAAAAAY back in 1966...I was 8 or 10 years old before East Texas even got a mall (Broadway Square Mall in Tyler, TX) when Sears moved from their stand alone store to the mall was just about the time Pong was still on the Atari and displayed there...used to wait in line just to play.

I remember when we got our first "modern day" convenience store...it took a while, think about, air conditioning in a gas station...why? if you wanted bread, milk, etc... you went to the market. But then, most gas stations still had a garage attached to it...with a real mechanic!

My seat in our brand new 73' Ford Country Sedan Station wagon was setting on the edge of the back seat with my arms hanging over the front seat between Mom & Dad (imagine bench seats in the front of cars). No seat belts...of course if this beast were to hit a brick wall, it would have just punched a whole the the wall and kept going.

going on REAL family vacations, riding for hours to State Parks to camp in the 28 ft. Airstream, that we pulled behind the station wagon...it was great! black & white TV's...color was very expensive, we did have 1 color TV for most of my life...a Zenith 19" console, got it in about 69' or 70'...when the color started going out on it, it was mostly green & black. (imagine a black & white TV where the white is replaced with shades of green)...Don't even get me started on the first computer screens. But along those lines, I think it only took me 5 or 6 years to pay off my first real computer, for what I paid for a Compuadd 33Mhz, 1MB RAM, 80MB HD, 3.5" 1.4MB floppy and a 5.25" 1.2MB, 13" VGA monitor I could buy 5 new laptops today...this beast of a computer cost over $5K in 1988.

We finally got cable in the early 70's, until then you might as well go to bed at 8 or 9 pm and get up at 5 or 6...I guess that is why I still get up so early.

Life was MUCH slower and simpler for adults and kids alike, Dad got home at 6:00pm, dinner was ready, we'd sit down and eat as a family. Mom didn't have to work anywhere but our house and we had plenty. The cost of living was just a lower % of earnings than it is today...a new house in 1966 was approx. $13K and middle class incomes were $15 - $25K range.

We would spend time with our families and neighbors, actually talking to and knowing them, because there was nothing else to do...no cable, no video games, no computers of any kind, the newspaper was only 4-5 pages on Sunday and took about 30 minutes to read at the most. ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS were the only channels we would get on TV. If you didn't like Red Skelton, Flip Wilson, Carol Burnett, or Hee-Haw, then you would read, talk or go to bed...simple.

I feel sorry for the young people today...it's not as simple to define right and wrong as it was when I was a kid. The internet and even TV has skewed and "fuzzied" that line so much, that even as a 40+ y.o. adult we sometimes get lost. Don't get me wrong, I love technology as much as anyone and don't believe in censorship of information, but I do miss the simplicity of being a kid in the early 70's.

Sorry this was so long, but I didn't create this thread, but I have enjoyed going back in time, if even for a moment. Smile
    Gutairest
    Gutairest
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Gutairest Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:47 pm

i was born in 97 and im twelve and have already done all that stuff....... have u guys ever gotten stereostyped by the cops for the way u dressed? if not its not fun or cool how they treat you especially when your like 20 friends and they target you all! (sorry for the random question)
    Killophile
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Killophile Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:43 am

WOW TAC nice touch of nastalgia there sniff sniff tears...

The one striking difference is the "Played all day with no way to get in touch with us." I hate cell phones! Cant count the number of arguments thats have stemmed from," If you would just answer your cell phone."

I grew up in Tabacco country in rural CT, from the age of 12 I was a member of "The River Rats", a dirtbike motorcycle gang. We would get home from school, maybe do homework then get on your bike and meet up at Catch Brook for an afternoon of schananigans, terrifying those poor immigrant tabacco workers with pellet guns, ahh good times.

Things seemed simpler than, the only rule Mom had was, be home for dinner. She never said anything about the fact that we would ride our dirtbikes on the roads of sleepy Windsorville CT. Prolly and average of 20 miles a day. Cant count the Dukes of Hazard moments running from the PIGS. Never caught BTW!
    Brashin
    Brashin
    Sergeant First Class
    Sergeant First Class

Post by Brashin Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:25 am

Ah the Dukes of Hazard one of my favorite shows growing up. That and Hogan's Hero's, 3 stooges, knight rider (the original) and the A-Team.

Also back then Saturday morning cartoons were the shit, nowadays my son watches all this weird crap and the cartoons look even worse than Tom & Jerry and the Flintstones. And come on as a boy growing up it was all about GI JOE, Transformers, He-Man, Thunder Cats, & VOLTRON
    hotdog_fingers
    hotdog_fingers
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by hotdog_fingers Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:56 am

I'm going to go before the golden age of cartoons (I'll call them the GI Joe years)...What about Star Blazers and Robotech? Japanamation in the late 70's/early 80's...that's nostalgia!
    Brashin
    Brashin
    Sergeant First Class
    Sergeant First Class

Post by Brashin Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:48 am

Hook me up with some Space Battleship Yamato I think it was called, that was a good one.
    hotdog_fingers
    hotdog_fingers
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by hotdog_fingers Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:57 am

That's it...in Japan it was called that...in the US it was called Star Blazers...

We're off to outer space
    We're leaving Mother Earth
    To save the human race
    Our Star Blazers

Searching for a distant star
    Heading off to Iscandar
    Leaving all we love behind
    Who knows what danger we'll find?

We must be strong and brave
    Our home we've got to save
    If we don't in just one year
    Mother Earth will disappear

Fighting with the Gamilons
    We won't stop until we've won
    Then we'll return and when we arrive
    The Earth will survive
    With our Star Blazers

Props to anyone who knows the tune!

Last edited by hotdog_fingers on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
    Brashin
    Brashin
    Sergeant First Class
    Sergeant First Class

Post by Brashin Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:13 am

You see...knowing is half the battle
    hotdog_fingers
    hotdog_fingers
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by hotdog_fingers Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:19 am

GI JOE!

But can you say the phrase using DeepSix's semi-retarded accent? Do we really need to be reminded not to swim in a thunderstorm? When do we let survival of the fittest take over?
    Brashin
    Brashin
    Sergeant First Class
    Sergeant First Class

Post by Brashin Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:06 am

"Hey kids be sure that when your carrying a knife or pair of scissors to always carry it by the handle with the sharp side pointing up. Also remember to run instead of walk as you always need to get somewhere faster...GO JOE!!!"

I think thats how that lesson turned out.
    Gutairest
    Gutairest
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Gutairest Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:08 pm

hahaahha brashin ur funny

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 1:04 am